Complex trauma | Trauma treatment in Hyderabad
A crush injury occurs when a person’s body part is under extreme pressure crushing the bone or squeezing them between heavy objects. Crush injuries are severe and are challenging to handle. Often, these complex injuries cause heavy damage to soft tissue and skeletal structures. Potentially such injuries may result in disastrous complications and also cause other long-term effects if they are mishandled and mistreated.
Complex Trauma Symptoms
Laceration or open wounds
Compartment syndrome, i.e., excess pressure in the damaged part causes severe damage to the muscle, nerves, blood vessels and tissues
Smashed fingers or other parts
These types of injuries are rare but are common during natural disasters, industrial accidents, road traffic accidents, building collapse, disaster relief or terrorist incidents. In some cases, even the body parts get separated.
First Aid for Crush injury
- First aid treatment is very crucial for crush injury.
- Stop bleeding by applying direct pressure.
- Cover the damaged area with a wet cloth or bandage.
- If there is an injury near the head, neck, or spine, immobilize those areas and if possible, limit the movement of the crushed area.
- Call for local emergency help or any local hospital for further advice.
- Crush injuries need to be evaluated in a hospital’s emergency department, and they should be treated surgically.
Trauma Treatment in Hyderabad
- The primary focus is to diagnose problems related to airway, breathing, and circulation.
- Re-establishment of intravenous access and the fluid resuscitation initiation before releasing the crushed extremity is also very important.
- Limb amputation needs to be avoided until extrication is not possible.
- Fluid resuscitation should be continued while transferring the victim to a medical facility.
Trauma treatment modalities
- Monitor the crushed parts for pain, sensation, passive movement, and pallor.
- Monitor Low blood pressure(hypotension) with aggressive hydration.
- Alkaline diuresis and mannitol therapies are recommended to prevent renal failure. For acute renal failure, hemodialysis is preferred.
- Electrolyte imbalances should be controlled and treated accordingly. Electrolytes regulate the major physiological functions in the body.
- Monitoring the victim to avoid cardiac arrhythmia is recommended.
- Observe the victim for compartment syndrome, and if it is present, then it needs to be treated with fasciotomy.
- Open wounds need to be treated with antibiotics, tetanus toxoid, and remove damaged tissue or foreign objects from the injury.
Treatment for Complex Trauma
In case of crush injuries, rescue, fluid resuscitation, recognition of the syndrome, extrication treatment and rehabilitation are very important.
Resuscitation at the site of injury is highly important because victims might be in shock and lose a lot of extracellular fluid. Paramedical staff should be aware of this condition and should treat it aggressively with fluid therapy at the site of injury. Identification of crush syndrome and its treatment are closely monitored by trauma surgeons and emergency physicians.
Complex trauma surgery
When a crush injury happens, more tissue damage takes place. In such situations, a plastic surgeon plays a key role in handling the damaged tissue. an orthopedic surgeon takes care of the damaged skeletal parts. A plastic surgeon and orthopedic surgeon diligently coordinate the rescue of the victim and treatment plans. The patient may also be transported to a highly equipped dialysis facility. A well-equipped trauma treatment center has a multidisciplinary team of specialists who work collaboratively to provide comprehensive treatment for complex trauma cases.
Complex trauma in adults: Crush injuries result in severe damage to blood vessels, muscles, and bones. The damage of blood vessels is called Vascular Trauma, and the condition is taken care of by a vascular surgeon. In certain types of injuries, muscles suffer from damage due to impaired circulation until blood vessels are repaired. The damaged muscles are repaired surgically, and the procedure is called a fasciotomy.
Severe crush injuries can damage the whole skeletal parts. Therefore, an orthopaedic trauma surgeon takes care of structural damage. The surgeon uses different techniques to treat such conditions. Bone reconstruction takes place in some conditions, and in some cases, artificial implants are also implanted to provide support and mitigate bone loss. Artificial implants play a key role.
For complex trauma treatment in Hyderabad, meet Dr. Vasudeva Juvvadi.