Bone Specialist Doctor in Hyderabad | Dr. Vasudeva Juvvadi
A fracture is defined as a break or crack in any of the bones in your body. Fractures are classified into several types, but fractures, where the bone fragments penetrate out through the surface of your skin, are particularly dangerous. Loss of natural positioning of the fractured bone can prevent blood flow and causes some other complications.
Compared to fractures, dislocation of bones is different. A dislocation is said to occur when your bones from their connecting joint are out of place. Dislocation in some cases might injure your nerves and blood vessels. A dislocation may occur in any joint in the body including the shoulder, knee, elbows, fingers, ankles and hip joint, and so on. If the dislocated joint doesn’t get proper treatment or doesn’t heal properly, then they are more prone to dislocate again.
Difference between the Symptoms of a Bone Fracture and Bone Dislocation
Both the bone fracture and dislocation conditions are very painful. However, there are some differences in symptoms between the two conditions.
Bone Fracture Symptoms
When a person encounters a fracture, he or she might face the following symptoms:
- Severe pain and discomfort
- Swelling, bruising
- Inability to move the broken part
- Tenderness, numbness and tingling sensation in the broken area
- Torn skin with the bone piercing out
- Abrasion, split or tear off skin
Bone Dislocation Symptoms
- Intense pain
- Swelling and bruising
- Inability to move the joint
- Pain while moving the joint
- Joint out of place
- Instability and loss of mobility
An orthopaedic surgeon may suggest an X-Ray to determine whether just the joint is dislocated or has any other fractures. In case of a fracture, the X-Ray helps to determine the severity of the fracture. It helps to determine the kind of treatment required to treat the fracture or the dislocated joint. However, sometimes, experienced orthopaedic surgeons through physical examination only can understand whether your bone is broken just.
Treatment for fractures and dislocations
The treatment for bone fractures and joint dislocation is provided in different ways based on the type of dislocation or fracture and the severity of pain.
Bone Fracture Treatment
The main aim of fracture treatment is to align the broken bone back in one piece. However, the treatment for a bone fracture depends on many factors, such as the type and severity of your injury. If you are diagnosed with a fracture, you may need to undergo one or more of the following treatment procedures:
- Splint or orthopaedic cast – to stop the movement of your broken bone
- Plaster cast – it provides support and immobilises your broken bone
- Bone fracture Repair Surgery – it includes insertion of metal rods or plates
- Medication for pain relief and to promote bone health
For Detailed Information Read: Trauma and Fracture Surgery in Hyderabad
The treatment for a dislocated joint involves restoring the joint back into its place and reducing the pain. If you have dislocated any of your joint, you may require one or more treatment options mentioned below:
- Manipulation – An orthopaedic surgeon manipulates or repositions displaced joints back into place.
- Immobilization – After repositioning your joint into its place, your doctor may suggest you to wear a sling, splint or cast for several weeks to stabilize the joint while it heals.
- Surgery – You may need to undergo surgery if the dislocated bone damages your nerves or blood vessels nearby, or if the dislocation is complicated and the doctor is not able to reposition your bones to their normal position.
- Medication to relieve pain
- Physical therapy for faster recovery
In some cases, surgery may be required if the same joint dislocates too often, such as the shoulder joints. It may be essential to reconstruct the joint and repair the damaged structures to prevent recurrent dislocation. Occasionally, joint replacement is done in some severe cases. If you have had a fracture or dislocation and are unable to recover from fracture, consult Dr. Vasudeva Juvvadi – the best Bone Specialist Doctor in Hyderabad at Sunshine Hospitals.